What should you do if your house is in disrepair?

What should you do if your house is in disrepair?

Housing disrepair is defined as a rented property in urgent need of repairs in order to be safe/meet an acceptable standard for tenants to inhabit. Housing disrepair claims arise in instances where the landlord is refusing to cooperate in making the necessary repairs. Housing disrepair includes but is not limited to damp, mould and condensation from a lack of insulation. Sufferers of housing disrepair may be entitled to compensation. NNE specialise in housing disrepair claims.

Can I claim for personal injury due to housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair claims may include a personal injury element for ill health caused by the disrepair, evidenced by a GP’s letter e.g., conditions that are the result of/worsened by the disrepair. A separate personal injury claim must be brought where a GP’s letter does not suffice and expert evidence is required. Claims can also be made for special damages to recover costs for damaged personal items due to the disrepair e.g., clothing destroyed by mould.

Can housing disrepair cause health issues?

As well as physical damage to the property, housing disrepair can cause a number of health issues e.g., asthma, pneumonia, upper respiratory tract infections, gastrointestinal problems and carbon monoxide poisoning. The state of the tenant’s mental health may also be impacted e.g., anxiety and depression. Any disrepair causing a healthy person to become ill or exacerbating the symptoms of an already ill person will allow an urgent claim to be brought forward. 

What to do:


You can take action against your landlord by making a claim with NNE. In order to qualify for a claim, your circumstances must satisfy the following pre requisites:

  • the disrepair has been continuous over a minimum period of 3 months, 
  • you have raised the issue with your landlord multiple times and no change has been brought about. 


NNE Law offer support for housing disrepair claims on a no-win-no-fee basis, meaning should your claim fail for any reason, you will not be charged for our services. This is a great value service for anyone stuck in a difficult situation.

Our service:

If you live in a rented property where there are cracks, damp, mould or leaks which have caused you to suffer or has exacerbated any health issues or have caused damage on the property, then you could be entitled to compensation. Our specialist solicitors will guide you through what is needed to file a claim and advise you on what would be included when it comes to out of pocket expenses. This could include:

  • General damages
  • Travel Expenses
  • Medical expenses that are not covered by the NHS
  • Loss of earnings
  • Loss of anticipated earnings
  • Care claim